Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beautiful Disaster

Andrew and I planned a family vacation to Colorado to go snow skiing. I was so excited for a vacation and to get to visit my most favorite state. I love Colorado, especially in the winter time. The trees and mountains covered with snow are just beautiful this time of year. Andrew had a meeting in Denver a few days before our actual trip so he flew up there first and then my sisters, their husbands, and I flew up there a few days later. We skied at Vail the first day, without Andrew because he was still in meetings, and then Andrew met us later that night. Matt's (my brother-in-law) old boss let us use his house in Keystone to stay in. It is just an amazing house with spectacular views, and he even let us borrow his car to get around in. We got a good nights rest and got up early to ski at Keystone. We skied all morning and then stopped to eat lunch. I started feeling really bad at that point and noticed that I didn't really have much of an appetite. I forced myself to eat because I knew I needed the nourishment after skiing pretty hard all morning long. We finished eating and headed straight out to the slopes again. My head began to hurt at this point and got progressively worse. I remember asking Andrew to hurry down the mountain because my head was hurting really bad. I could tell I was getting altitude sickness and wanted to get to the base of the mountain where my backpack was that was holding my Tylenol.  We ended up having to take the gondola down the mountain because I was so nauseated and my head was hurting so bad. I didn't make it to my backpack, we had to reroute straight to the car so I could get home.

The whole rest of the trip I was sick and couldn't get out of bed. Andrew had to take me to a local medical clinic because I felt like I was dying, literally. They gave me some oxygen which relieved my headache almost immediately and let me take some home. I started feeling better but very weak and left with not much of an appetite. We were suppose to go snowmobiling and tubing one day but I felt so bad and weak that I couldn't get out of bed. My sisters decided to go shopping instead for souvenirs. They found a shirt that said "I am soooo out of oxygen", and almost got it for me but Lynn said no. I thought it was funny!

Our friends, Grant and Miranda, came to visit us the last day we were there and we had a good time. They brought Charlie Kay, thier little girl, with them. She has grown up so fast and is such a cutie. We ate dinner together, a baked potato for me, and played games. I got to wittness an intense and humorous pillow fight between Lynn and Miranda.  I wasn't able to play dominoes with them because I was still exhausted and had to go to bed early, but it was still good to see them.

Our flight back to Shreveport was the worst. It's miserable being sick and having to travel, I don't recommend it at all. Our carry on luggage made a good cot for me in the airport for 4.5 hours as we waited on our plane out of Denver. I was so happy to get back to Shreveport and to be back home (we got home at midnight). I have never been so happy to be home in my life. Needless to say I am still recovering from whatever it was that decided to take over my body and set up camp for a while. I had to go to the doctor, again, and get IV fluids to rehydrate myself and more medication to try to fight off this illness. What a vacation, what a disaster in the most beautiful place. Maybe my next vacation will be better. I have included some pictures that we took while I was feeling good, enjoy!
Welcome to Colorado!

Andrew and I getting ready to ski!

It's snow time!

Lunch on the mountain (the lunch when I started feeling bad)

My sisters and I relaxing at the house

A view from the house where I spent most of the vacation.
Andrew and I on our last day. Saying goodbye to the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment