background

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sweet Baby Boy

I haven't gotten to update the blog in a while because I've been super busy with Christian and trying to catch up on some sleep during my spare time. I just wanted to give a quick update on how he is doing. We went to the pediatrician yesterday for a check-up post NICU. All went well, Christian has gained weight and now weighs in at 10 pounds 2.5 ounces, 21 1/2 inches long. He has been having small seizure like activity only when he sleeps, and they are only little twitches that last for about 30 seconds to a minute. I was doing some research online about infants who twitched in their sleep and found an article and video on a condition called Benign Neonatal Sleep Myoclonus (BNSM). This condition occurs when the infant is sleeping and usually begins around the 4th day after birth (which is around the time when Christian's began). I brought this up to our doctor and she said it very well could be this condition. They had another newborn who was diagnosed with BNSM and she eventually outgrew it. I am crossing my fingers and toes in hopes that this may just be a temporary thing.

We have more doctors visits coming up, the next being the eye doctor follow-up. This one makes me the most nervous because they found lesions on Christian's eyes when he was in the NICU. I am praying hard everyday that God has healed those spots on his eyes and nothing else needs to be done. My biggest fear is that they haven't gone away and have gotten worse. I am trying to let God take this situation over but it's hard not to have the thought in the back of my mind. The nurse in the NICU also put the thought in my head of eye cancer (thanks nurse, but I could have done without that). So, of course, I am scared to death of that possibility. Other doctors appointments include the neurologist on 7/15/11 and the geneticist on 8/8/11. I'm not as worried about those because Christian's last MRI was clean and so was his CT scan.

On a lighter note, Christian got to have his newborn pictures taken this last Sunday. I am sooooo excited to see what they look like. Nicole Spikes, with Nicole Spikes photography, did an awesome job posing our little man. He cooperated for the most part and only peed and pooped once or twice. I will try and get those pictures posted as soon as they are ready. Also, Christian decided to sleep most of the night last night. Andrew and I had been waking him up every 3 hours to feed him and our pediatrician told us not to. She said he weighted enough and to let him sleep and feed him only when he wakes up. We didn't argue with this because Andrew and I love our sleep. He did awesome with his first night and only woke up once around 12:30. Bless his little heart!

We are asking for continued prayers for Christian and his healing. I am going to thank my God in advance for His healing hands on sweet little Christian. I know that His angels are still watching over him and he is going to be just fine.
Daddy finds it amusing to play dress up with me!

Little Tiger Fan in the making!

2 comments:

  1. So glad for good reports, continuing to pray for only good reports from here on out (no thanks to that nurse who just worried you!). Love his blue pom pom hat--that's hilarious!!! He's such a doll! So glad he's getting some good sleep and letting y'all get some too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really anxious to find out how all those doctor's appt turn out, esp Eye (its the eye doc in me!) Prayers for baby Christian and healing for all of his little body!!! HE is so handsome!---congrats on this beautiful baby--you are already filling the mom roll with worry and concern and care of your little man!

    ReplyDelete